
Here is my completed Alphabet Landscape of the Walt Whitman Bridge. Every letter is in the Georgia font, which is the same font that my posts are typed in. Since my central object, the bridge needed to feel architectural and not organic, I chose a font that is extremely common in typing, one we see almost every day. To me, fonts like Georgia, Helvetica, Times New Roman are the steel beams of type. They are uniform and made for function, not aesthetic. The challenge for me was to make something visually pleasing out of something visually bland. Also, I chose not to distort my letters in anyway, so to keep with the theme of building with plain letters. I did resort to scale changes, stretching, and rotating quite often. Drawing with type, surprisingly to me, was not an idea I ever came upon myself, but now that I know about it, I'm going to make a habit of doing it more often.

No comments:
Post a Comment